Friday, February 18, 2011

Laying the floor

Yesterday I worked on the floor. I finished the patch near the door first. There were a few small areas of rot that I didnt want to have to tear out so I used a wood hardener on them, it seems to work pretty good. There was also the small holes by the door, for that I used bondo to fill them in.

Once the sub-floor was complete I laid the underlayment down.


With our previous Airstream I ran the flooring across from left to right. This time I want to go front to back, I think it looks much better this way.

I started in the upper left corner in the curve. To get the cut perfect I laid some underlayment down and cut it along the curve of the walls. Then I transfered that to a piece of cardboard. I then used the cardboard as a template for cutting the floor boards.



Getting the first board perfectly square was the hardest part. To get it perfectly square I started by finding the centerline of the camper, I used a marker to mark it. Then I measured 7 7/8th (the width of each piece of flooring) out from the wall right where it first begins to curve, I made this mark on the cardboard template. Then I measured from that mark to the centerline. I took that measurement up to the top of the curve and measured from the centerline towards the wall. I marked that line on the cardboard as well. This assured that the board will be perfectly squared, then I placed the cardboard template on top of the board, lined it up with the marks and traced the curve out on the first board.

This was as far as I got last night:


The flooring is called Spalted Maple. I'm hoping to have it finished today.

No comments:

Post a Comment