Monday, February 7, 2011

Rock Guard and more interior demo

It's been very hard to get any work done on the Airstream lately because of a big project at work, I've been working 12 to 14 hour days. I did have some time Sunday to get a few things done though.

Our Airstream came with a rock guard but it wasn't much of one. It was old and the plexiglas was broken and extremely faded. It's hard to see in the pictures but it had turned a purple color.



The brown is duct tape to hold it in place for the trip home when we bought it.

I found a local glass company that carried plexiglas, it ended up costing me about $100 to replace all 3 panes. Not bad considering a new rock guard is around $350 plus shipping.


It's not quite as dark as I would have liked but it will work.


The next project was the grab handle next to the door, it was broken, you can see what remains of it in the picture below:



I found that the grab handle in the shower is the same size so I removed it and installed it next to the front door. Installing it was harder than I anticipated, the handle is secured with a nut and bolt instead of screws. I removed the top bolt before I realized this. Luckily I found the bolt in the insulation when I removed the inside wall panel. The nut is a 3/8th's in case anyone else has to replace theirs.

Here is the grab handle installed:


This wouldn't have been a critical thing to get done before our first camping trip except that I want to make a door wedge so I wont have to worry about the door flying open and possibly ripping off while going down the road.

I have a new Bargman L-200 door handle on order, hopefully I'll get it sometime this week.





I was able to remove the old fridge and stove also:






In it's place will be going a 3/4 stainless fridge and a countertop (where the stove was). There will be a shelf above the countertop for a microwave.

You can see how nasty the walls were, I scrubbed them down with bleach and a scrub pad.


Once the walls were clean we began painting, we will be using the same colors that we used in our previous airstream.

Hopefully I'll have time this week to get the painting done.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me want to go out and buy an Airstream. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete